Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Why am I reluctant to see Avatar?

1) I know the whole plot of the movie based on the preview. There's a planet of blue people who live peacefully. Humans want some made up natural resource they have (read allusions to oil, water, etc.) and want it at any cost. The humans turn one of them into a blue person to understand how they think. The human/blue guy ends up realizing that the blue people are right and fights with them to defeat the evil humans. That's the whole movie.

2) This is a massive budget, CGI filled, fantasy driven film whose message is that we need to protect the trees. It seems like Irony to me.

The reason I'm interested and will probably see the movie, is twofold. First, I think there will be amazing action sequences. Second, I think Avatar is the first movie where CGI characters are the good guys fighting against the evil human actors. That newness is interesting in its own right.

So...I guess I'll see it...even though I know the blue guys will win.

1 comment:

Marli said...

I've seen it, and would actually go back and see it again. Certainly not for the plot, which as you seem to have realized, is not particularly interesting. But the CGI is amazing, and the technology is fairly new and just stunning. I highly highly recommend it.